From april 1th 2012 the General Periodic Inspection rules have been renewed. This means that vehicles from 2006 and younger should have an yearly emission measurement with an EOBD scantool. This regulation applies to petrol vehicles, diesel vehicles as well as for hybrid vehicles.
There are a number of requirements which the EOBD scantool must meet:
• Has the ISO 15031-3 connector (16-pin OBD plug)
• Can communicate with the on-vehicle on-board diagnostics and supports at least mode 03
• Supports a minimum, the following protocols:
- ISO 9141-2
- ISO / DIS 11519-4 or SAE J1850 PWM PWM
- ISO / DIS 11519-4 or SAE J1850 VPW VPW
- ISO / DIS 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000) (5-Baud and Fast) - ISO / DIS 15765-4 (CAN)
• Displays the status of the malfunction indicator light (MIL)
• Indicates the status of the systems supported by the EOBD (readiness test)
• Displays errors in the minimum set encoding to ISO standard 15031-6
• Has a CE marking
• Is equipped with a manual in the Dutch language in which the supported communication protocols are described. Or the supported protocols are described in a statement accompanying the appliance manufacturer.